Thursday, April 29, 2010

midlife quiz


I just thought this was interesting. You may want to take it yourself. It comes from a book I'm reading called Change Your Mind, Change Your Body by Ann Kearney-Cooke, PhD.

How do you feel about your body?

  1. I feel generally satisfied with my body: a) true, b) somewhat true, or c) false. "Unhappiness about appearance erodes self-esteem and can lead to unhealthy behaviors."
  2. I have at least some attractive physical attributes. (same answers as above)
  3. I feel self-conscious about my body: a) rarely/never, b) sometimes, c) usually. "Self-consciousness leads to behaviors like hiding the body and feelings of shame and withdrawal from others."
  4. I usually compare my body to the bodies of other women a) my own age, b) somewhat younger, or c) under thirty.
  5. When someone compliments me on the way I look, I usually feel a) flattered, b) skeptical or c) self-conscious. "Inability to respond to, accept, or feel comfortable with compliments is a common sign of negative body image."
  6. I worry about the effect of aging on my looks: a) never, b) occasionally, or c) most of the time.
  7. I exercise a) at least three times a week, b) a few times a month, or c) rarely/never. “Exercise builds confidence.” I don’t know if that’s why I do it. I do it for the adrenaline. I do it so that my mind feels happier.
  8. I have taken diet pills, fasted or followed an extremely low-calorie diet: a) rarely/never, b) at least once in the past year, or c) several times in the past year.
  9. Compared to five years ago, I feel that I look a) better, b) the same, or c) worse.

(paraphrasing) "If you chose mostly A answers, you seem to feel generally positive about your body. If you chose mostly C answers, you owe it to yourself to make changes. Negative feelings and attitudes can interfere with your life and erode self-esteem. It's important to explore what gets in the way of accepting your body. If you chose a relatively equal mix of A, B and C answers, your body image could be improved."

2 comments:

  1. wow - I passed except for number 7. I'm very confident - only I don't exercise much. ;/

    ReplyDelete
  2. and would you believe I compare myself to women who are older than me. yeah I know - you believe it.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, please...