Thursday, April 08, 2010

chaos



I ate lunch in my car on Monday afternoon, after my lunch plans with a friend got hijacked. I also had a little email exchange with Arianne last night. This is the dream that ensued early this morning:

I was sitting in my car, eating crackers out of the box, waiting for something. Maybe my lunch break to be over, or school to start, or something. It seemed like I was parked outside of a school. Or the building where I worked. I used to do that when I was working temporary jobs in California. Anyway, all of a sudden, Arianne popped into my car and sat down in the passenger seat. Her face seemed really close, like she was studying me.

"It’s kind of sad, you know," she said. "You doing your own thing all the time."

I understood that maybe she was trying to tell me that I shouldn’t be alone so much. That I needed to be more social.

"Why not?" I replied. "This is what I usually do."

Then we went for a drive. She urged me to drive fast, recklessly around the corners. She held on for dear life, and we laughed. We went past schools and children walking, neighborhoods and tall trees. And soon there were dogs everywhere. At first, one or two, which doesn’t strike one as odd. In every neighborhood there’s a loose dog somewhere. But then there were more and more, and they were everywhere, and I began to be alarmed by how many there were. I thought maybe we had driven into an animal shelter compound or something. And then they were doing tricks, like standing on each others’ shoulders and balancing, like in a circus. Or a child’s book about a circus, because clearly these dogs were doing human tricks that were not possible in reality. And then, as if it could get more bizarre, there were suddenly monkeys. Chimpanzees, baboons, gorillas—all kinds of monkeys, just hanging out along the road, as if we had driven right into the middle of a zoo, where the monkeys lived out in the open, without cages.

Do you think maybe this means that my life feels a little chaotic? Maybe I don’t feel like I’m in control? That was my conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that Monday didn't work out! Once I get done with house guests and the party tomorrow we are on like Donkey Kong. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, please...