Thursday, October 15, 2009

pet peeve #3

Shallow pockets.

Every new pair of jeans you buy has a flaw, I guess. And you learn to live with it. But until you're accustomed to the flaw, it's just something you must endure.

I like to put my hands in the front pockets of my pants. I keep my keys in there, on the right side. I hardly ever use the back pockets, but the front ones are handy for many things. They're a good place to tuck my hands when I don't know what else to do with them. So you can imagine my frustration when I buy a good pair of pants that fit and flatter, only to find that the pockets are shallow. A front pocket should be deep enough to hold the keys without them falling out, and enough to cover the whole hand, up to the wrist. (I don't like the thumb sticking out, but that's just me.) The pockets on these jeans cover my fingers, up to the knuckles of my hands. And I have small hands. So now I have a pair of jeans with useless pockets. But they look good. Maybe I could wear a fanny pack. ;)

9 comments:

  1. http://gracethespot.com/?p=122 lesbian hand tuck. I do this too :) -A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to make it a lesbian thing... lots of people do it. Right everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes..YES, what is it with women's pants and dysfunctional front pockets? in my frustration i've tried on guys pants and found pockets that go almost to the knees... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. C and I notice the same problem with women's pants. Although generally we complain that they don't have any pockets at all. :/
    How insanely annoying is that? and stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all about "fashion" for women and "function" for men. However it wouldn't be hard to fix a shallow pocket. Turn the pants inside out, unpick the pocket seam on the bottom and sew on an addition. Or remove the old pocket completely and add a brand new DEEPER pocket of your own design. Doesn't even matter what it looks like because no one is going to see it. All that matters is that it works, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a lesbian and don't put my hands in my front pockets-- does that help? ;)

    btw, fanny packs are gay. don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wiebke does anyone wear fanny packs anymore? They are so 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just say not to fanny packs. For reals.

    What brand are said pair of jeans? - so I can steer clear...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to find a truly perfect pair of jeans. There's always something wrong. And today's low rise fashion makes the pockets into micropockets.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, please...