Friday, October 15, 2010

attractive things about people


I was sitting in the shop waiting for the safety & emissions inspection on my car, and I made a list. As I watch people, I sort of collect things I like about people in general. This what I came up with, in no particular order:

  • straight teeth
  • clean fingernails
  • clothing that fits and flatters
  • attentive eyes
  • the ability to listen without interrupting
  • a contagious, disarming smile
  • unprovoked kindness
  • red hair
  • clear skin
  • generous lips
  • uninhibited laughter

The guy who worked on my car, in fact, had very nice red hair and skin like a sun-ripened peach. If his ears had been substantially smaller I might have thought him very cute.

9 comments:

  1. so you don't like Kenneth Branaugh... ;)

    Hey - I think I've heard this list before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate all those things too, and sometimes have a hard time taking my eyes off them, but here is another take on something that is also beautiful and compelling: "Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
    -The Skin Horse in The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dirty fingernails are gross! I never get why men have long fingernails either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get why women have long fingernails either. It's not attractive, and just invites germs. bleck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad we all agree on clean -short- fingernails.
    Red hair FTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Ned- where's the LIKE button?!?!?!! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't totally agree with you on the nails.
    Long on men- gross. Looks like claws. Long and natural on women- pretty, elongates the finger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. I agree about straight teeth and a nice smile. Those go such a long way!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, please...