Tuesday, February 23, 2010

digit ratios


Okay, so has anybody ever heard of this?

The ratio between index and ring finger is believed to be linked to exposure to the male hormone testosterone in the womb. On average, men tend to have longer ring fingers and women longer index fingers. The higher the testosterone, the greater the length of the ring finger and the more "masculine" the resulting child – whether male or female. Link

Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley found the difference in the length between women's ring fingers and index fingers tend to be greater for lesbians than straight women. The same study also found that a greater difference in length of men's ring fingers and index fingers for gay men with several older brothers as compared to straight men. Link

I find this fascinating. This is my hand:

You can see that my ring finger is longer than my index finger, by about half an inch. According to the first article sited, "people with longer ring fingers tend to excel on the sports field, especially in running and football." I used to be somewhat athletic, but that's where it ends. I never was really good at any one sport.

"Scientists at the University of Bath found that children who had longer ring fingers are better with numbers-based subjects such as maths and physics, which are traditionally male favourites." Not so with me. If I am to fit into their study, I should have a longer index finger: "...longer index fingers indicated good verbal and literacy skills, where girls dominate."

But being exposed to more levels of testosterone in the womb? They may be onto something there. What do your fingers say about you?

More information: http://human-nature.com/nibbs/02/manning.html

5 comments:

  1. They say I'm good at piano.

    I don't listen beyond that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. but since we're talking about more - I'm good at math, too. I think my ring and index are the same length. Yeah - it's hard to tell. They look the same to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very interesting.

    What do they say about "Man hands"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on that. I don't fit many of the other criteria. I was always pretty good at math, but I was not really athletic.

    I love language and words.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, please...